Designer Martin Vargic has released an updated version of his Map of the Internet 2.0 that creates what looks like a vintage-style map. However, this version plots out the major websites and technology companies, with related sites grouped together on the same continent. The sizes of the websites on the map are scaled relative to their number of visitors, so bigger sites show as bigger geographic regions.
Did you know that only about 4% of the internet is actually searched through normal purposes. The remaining 96% is called “The Deep Web” The description used to explain the unknown content:
This content includes: – Dynamic or scripted content – Unlinked content – pages which are not linked to by other pages, which may prevent web crawling programs from accessing the content. – Private or password-protected websites – Webpages with content varying for different access contexts (e.g., ranges of client IP addresses or previous navigation sequence). – Limited access content – sites that limit access to their pages in a technical way – Non-HTML/text content – textual content encoded in multimedia (image or video) files or specific file formats not handled by search engines. This content can only be mined and leveraged using sophisticated search technologies” – IHS
While about 60% of this “unknown” content is believed to be research papers and topical databases without traditional backlinks, its the other 40% that houses the things no one talks about. This anonymous black market that few people know about and even fewer have actually seen.
The Deep Web has drug dealers, assassins, money laundering and illegal porn. And that just the start.
Over the next few weeks I will bring you more information on the hidden internet. Until then check out this infographic to get a better idea of the scale we are discussing.